Sunday, November 15, 2015

Day 8--A book you love and one you didn't

Boy, I am about a week behind on these. My fault. Just doing to much during the day/evening and then being too tired to write, but I'm going to catch up today.

Asking me to pick one book I love is like asking a parent to pick a favorite child, but since it just says "a" book, I suppose out of the thousands I do love, that I can pick one. The one I didn't is probably easier, but I'll do them in order.

One of the books I love and have always loved is actually a collection of short stories by Pam Houston called "Cowboys Are My Weakness" published in 1992. She hasn't written much since this one but these are so good, she really didn't have to. These stories are great for single girls or women to read. They have adventure, romance, humor--everything that I was looking for at the time. My Mom told me about the book, as my parents taught me about lots of authors I ended up enjoying. What I like about them is that it's intelligent women looking for men. I had just graduated from college when this came out and it was perfect for me at the time because I was working at a riding stable. I have often reread this book and it always brings a smile to my face.

I was an English major in college so I read a lot of books. Some of them I liked, some I was really not a fan of. One of those books was "The Brothers Karamazov"by Dostoevsky. Could be that I was taking a Russian literature course where we read "War and Peace", "Anna Karenina" and "The Brothers Karamazov" all in the same semester (along with some other short stories). These books are long and everyone is named Vronsky, or Viktor or some V name and it's hard to keep track of the characters. Now I had already read the poem contained within the book "The Grand Inquisitor" and wasn't a fan of the poem either. Funny thing about me not liking this book though was that my best friend at the time thought it was the greatest book she had ever read and when I told her I didn't like it she told me to "take it back." Well, it was my opinion so I didn't take it back. Maybe that's why we're not best friends anymore. But anyway, I find most Russian literature dark, long and boring. It also doesn't know when to end. They seem to write another 300 pages after what I would see as the ending, just because they can. I mean, maybe there was nothing else to do during the long Russian winters. And I know Dostoevsky wrote it as a "serial" so maybe he just wanted to keep his readers before he thought of something else to write. Anyway, it's not my favorite. Whereas I would pick up "Cowboys Are My Weakness" anytime...I would probably only pick up "The Brothers Karamozov" again if I was forced to.


No comments:

Post a Comment