Sunday, November 15, 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge--Day 9--Your Feelings on Ageism

Feelings on ageism. Not sure that I have many feelings about it. I know it exists, but I'm not sure that it's as prevalent as other issues such as sexism or racism. I am getting older, but it hasn't really stopped me yet from doing what I want to accomplish. I am still able to get a job, I keep up with current events so I can talk to my younger co-workers and in a way, I think my age is an asset rather than a deterrent.

I now live in Hollywood and lately, some of the actresses here are saying once they reach a certain age then they are looked over for certain roles because they are too old. Is that really the case? I mean, aren't scripts written like screenplays with certain characters in mind and those characters should be of the age that the screenwriter had imagined. I mean, you're not going to cast Meryl Streep in The Hunger Games and no one would take Anna Kendrick seriously in a role meant for someone older. So I don't think they have a legitimate beef. Sure, some actors and actresses can play any role, but we all age and we need to accept that.

Isn't there a reason that the President of the United States has to be 35 years old? Do you want some 18 year old running the country? Wisdom comes with age as should views and ideas of ageism.

No comments:

Post a Comment