Sunday, November 30, 2014

Ho Ho Humbug!

Thursday was Thanksgiving, tomorrow is December 1 and I'm just not in the holiday spirit this season.  Thursday was great. I woke up, cooked my butt off all day and had a really nice time. But then Friday came. Eric had to go to work, I was stuck at home. We got my car back (it's bearings are going and we can't afford to fix it just yet). Saturday, Eric wasn't feeling well so he slept a lot. We debated over having to do laundry, etc. Today, Eric had to go back to work. I've been watching football and putting the ornaments on the tree. I actually set up the tree on Friday but didn't feel like decorating it. I didn't feel like decorating it today either, but figured I had to. I went with minimal ornaments this year, but brought out some old friends who have to go on the tree.

I don't know what it is this year. Just not feeling it. Could be that we're still having some financial difficulty and that there won't be any presents under the tree. Could be that it was 85 and sunny on Thanksgiving. Could be that I am just a humbug this year. I'm not sure. I don't like feeling this way. I'd rather be thrilled that there is peppermint ice cream in the stores. That homes smell like cookies and warmth. That 'tis the season and that giving is better than receiving. I'm just not feeling it.

There is hope. I mean, walking home from the subway, I'm happy to look at other people's lights and decorations. I'm sure once I see "Rudolph" and "The Year Without a Santa Claus" I'll feel better. Next weekend (while Eric works both Saturday and Sunday), I'll make cookies, using recipes from my great grandmother, written in her handwriting. It's going to be cooler this week, so I'll be able to wear sweaters and a jacket.  I'll keep you updated.



No comments:

Post a Comment