Thursday, October 23, 2014

Relocation

I've relocated a lot in the past year. Chicago to California. Pasadena to Los Angeles. 5 years a a freelance employee to a permanent employee with paid vacation time and benefits. Today I relocated my desk at work. 

Our office is set up with cubicles and kind of community pods. Our pod in the music research department was dark but open. Six of us in the same rectangular area with a file cabinet in the middle, and bigger areas for the two people who had been there the longest. I was in one corner with not much of a view. Ok. No view. We kept the lights off...just because that's how it had been done for years and because when we did actually experiment with the lights on for a few days it felt very institutional. So now I have my own private cubicle. I still face a wall when I'm working but there's more storage and definitely more light. I also noticed it was quieter. I could hear more conversations from other cubicles but I didn't have to have my music on as loud. I will miss the few conversations that my co-workers and I had from time to time. (Mostly on Friday afternoons). But all in all I think this relocation will be positive, just like all the other ones have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment