Thursday, October 30, 2014

As If I Needed Another Reason To Love Him





Tonight Fathom Events showed an encore presentation of The National Theatre's production of "Frankenstein" starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller (Yes, they both play Sherlock on TV in case you didn't know). I got to see Johnny Lee Miller as "the Creature" as they were calling him, and Benedict played Victor Frankenstein. It was directed by Danny Boyle and for those of you Harry Potter fans out there...George Harris, who was Kingsley Shacklebolt and said "You may not like him, but one thing you've got to say is Dumbledore's got style" was also in the play.

The only regret I have is not going Monday so that I could see Benedict as "the Creature"  and compare and contrast.  But I'm not complaining. I thought it was extremely well done. Yes, maybe a bit overly staged in some points...like I don't think we needed the "steam punk" group when the Creature first goes out into the world, and the giant chandelier lighting was a bit distracting, but I did love every minute of it. I am and always have been a theatre geek and this is theatre at it's finest. I understand why the actors changed roles every other night. It has to be exhausting putting in the effort to play the Creature, not only physically but mentally as well. The 2 hours just flew by and it was the perfect length. Nothing dragged or seemed out of place and the story moved along. There was some humor, but mostly you felt for the Creature as well as Victor Frankenstein who was more like the Creature then he probably wanted to admit. 

Most of all though, it just made my respect, admiration and yes, love, for Benedict Cumberbatch grow that much more. You can tell he researches his roles, whether in movies or live on stage. You can see what an amazing range he has. Even his speech changed to match the mood.  I'm not sure how you're supposed to see Victor, as the victim or as the monster, but I did find myself feeling for this lost man who did something and thought no one would find out, yet it tortured him throughout his days. In understated simplicity, Benedict portrayed all those emotions and if you were supposed to hate him, I just couldn't. He is truly gifted and I'm really hoping that they allow a camera crew into his portrayal of Hamlet later next year in London and that Fathom Events shows it.  (I also have to cook this man dinner!)


No comments:

Post a Comment