Wednesday, October 1, 2014

...And Without a Sink Too

As you know we moved into a new apartment a couple of weeks ago. Everything was fine...the shower leaked a little but we learned how to properly turn it off. The drawers and cabinets get stuck all the time but that's because they were freshly painted and I think adding some  knobs and handles will solve that issue.  We also had the fiasco with Time Warner Cable, but that seems to be working now too.

The kitchen is great. I have enough counter space for ALL my appliances (Cuisinart, convection oven, microwave, coffee maker) and still have plenty of room for prep. It will be nice to take the Thanksgiving turkey out of the oven and have someplace to put AND carve it without rearranging the entire kitchen. The only complaint I have is the sink. It's a double sink with an "insinkerator" (don't call them disposals in CA). The insinkerator hasn't worked since we moved in. Not a big deal, I can live without one. Egg shells can go into the trash as easily as they can down the sink. But last Monday night, as Eric was on the phone with the cable people, I was doing dishes and the sink with the insinkerator started to back up. I'm pretty resourceful, know my way around some tools so I grabbed the plunger and gave it a few tugs. Took care of the water back-up and I went on with washing dishes. A few minutes later I found myself standing in a puddle of water. I opened the cabinet doors and there was water pouring down the pipes. Oops. So we called the landlady and she said she'd have someone out the next day. He never showed. So we we're promised that he was coming the next day and could she let him into our apartment (since we both had to be at work). No problem...except I remembered her telling us that she only had 1 key to our place. Turns out I was right and she couldn't let the guy in on Wednesday either. So Thursday comes along and Eric has the day off. The cable guy comes and the plumber comes.  He apparently fixes the sink and is even sent back to our place by our landlady to make sure the insinkerator works (turns out all it needed was a flipped switch). So, Eric does the dishes and I come home to a clean kitchen with what I thought was a working sink.

Flash forward to Saturday. I'm doing dishes before I cook dinner and  lo and behold, both sinks are filling up again. Now on Friday, Eric had said not to use the insinkerator because he didn't think it was working properly. So I didn't touch it. But now both sinks are full of nasty water and I end up having to do my dish washing in the bathtub!  Eric looks at the sinks while I'm in the bathroom rinsing the soap off with the spray from the shower and again the sink starts leaking everywhere. Yuck.

Now I don't mind doing a glass or two, or some forks, or a plate in the bathroom. But I'm a cook and I make meals which use pots, pans, cutting boards, measuring cups, etc...and it's no fun sitting on the toilet, hunched over the bathtub just so I can make a good meal at home.

The plumber was back today, brought help and rooted out the sink, the insinkerator and Eric did the dishes again without any problems. So that's basically a full week without a sink. Keep your fingers crossed that it stays unclogged. I can cook without an oven, but I need a sink!


1 comment:

  1. Yikes! There aren't a lot of things that are as hair-pullingly frustrating as what you've had to put up with there. However, it's nice to see you got a plumber just in time to deal with that mess despite the temporary inconveniences on the side. All the best!

    Roxanne Vaughn @ Total Plumbing, Inc.

    ReplyDelete