Saturday, January 7, 2017

Working out without a gym is harder than I thought...at least in the Midwest

This 31 day fitness challenge I am doing is getting harder to do without having a gym to go to or exercise equipment in my apartment. The exercises that involve me on my hands and knees are very difficult on a bare hardwood floor, and towels tend to slip which makes the stretch more of a challenge, if not dangerous. Then there is the Midwest weather factor. The other day I was supposed to do a 30 minute walk/jog. The air temperature was zero and the wind chill was -16 that morning. I don't have warm workout clothes and my sneakers have holes in them. I believe trying this walk/jog would have been more detrimental than helpful to me.

If I had a gym to go to, no problem. If I had a treadmill, no problem, but with what I do have, it's a bit of a problem.

Although it sounds like I am making excuses, I am not. I am modifying my workouts to do things that work with what I have, but I feel sometimes like I'm missing out on the benefits of ALL the different exercises I could be doing.

Hopefully, I will get a job this month and then I'll go back to Planet Fitness and join again. Then at least I'll have a warm place to exercise that has the proper equipment and it won't matter what the weather is like outside. Plus, I won't need cold-weather workout gear.

My muscles are still protesting, but I do find that I have more energy. It's going to be a long process, but I'm not giving up.

Tomorrow's exercise will be grocery shopping and cleaning the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment