Saturday, January 14, 2017

Creative Workouts

So this week I haven't been following my 31-day challenge workout routine at all. The first day I had to watch a 10 minute video on how to do a 1 minute yoga pose and figured that if it was that complicated, maybe I'm not ready for it.

I've continued on with my stretching and I've been doing other things which may not seem like workouts but are definitely burning calories and keeping me moving for at least 15 minutes or more at a time. One was making a pound cake for a friend of mine. I had to use a hand mixer to beat the mixture for at least 10 minutes, which worked out my arms. I also had to do many dishes since the recipe called for each component to be in it's own bowl. I also just used a spoon to mix hot chocolate mix into some of the batter along with stirring in some chocolate chips. I also used a back and forth motion with the spatula to smooth the batter into a bread pan. I've cleaned out the litter boxes which involves bending and lifting and then taking stairs to throw the debris out. I've done lots of dishes including heavy bowls and I've actually done some of the dishes while balancing on one leg or another. I've made my bed every day, tucking in sheets and smoothing out the duvet. I scraped about half an inch of ice off of my car. I swept the living room and even moved furniture to get under things, and moved a 6 foot ladder into another room. I shook out the welcome mat and the bathroom rug. All of these don't sound like exercise and they aren't in the traditional sense, but they are doing something rather than me just sitting on the couch all day.

I've also really craved fast food this week, especially today, but I have stuck to my guns and cooked meals for myself every day instead. It saves money and is healthier in the long run. I did go out to lunch with a friend on Thursday but we just had a couple of appetizers and those were relatively healthy.

Although I've felt a little guilty for abandoning my challenge, I am proud of myself for doing something rather than nothing.


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to help you realistically get into shape on the cheap. Ready. Go!

    Equipment
    1. People are giving away exercise equipment on Craigslist all the time. If you see it, pick it up. Exercise bikes are usually the first thing they put online. They are small and they can fit into any space.
    2. TJ Maxx and Ross always have hand weights on sale. Buy the weights that gives you a bit of a challenge. Once you're done with those weights, purchase the heavier weights.
    3. Portable stair steppers are really cheap and you can purchase them at Walmart. Those are great for when it's snowing outside. You can start out doing 5 minutes at a time and work your way up. If you don't have the money to buy one, you can always use one stair and step up from The Landing.

    The Program
    3 days on- 1 day off.
    Go to the library and get the book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. You don't have to follow his program but in the back of the book is every single weight training exercise that you'll ever need. Use the copy machine at the library and you'll have your own mini book. You can also take the copies and hang them on the wall where you're working out- which is very helpful.
    Day 1- Arms Day 2- legs Day 3- Cardo Day 4- rest Day 5- back, chest, shoulders. Repeat
    You will not build bulk training with weights. It will tone you and make you stronger.

    Cardo
    Do a minimum of 20 minutes on cardio day. If you have to be inside the house, use the stairs like I mentioned above. If you can only handle 5 minutes, then just do 5 minutes and add an extra minute every single time you do cardio. Once you have the ability to make it outside,
    Get out there and start walking. Do not run. Walk walk walk!

    Food
    Load a food tracking app into your phone. My plate.com is a really good one.
    Add in your weight and it will calculate how many calories you need to eat per day to lose x amount of weight per week or maintain what you are now- whatever your goal happens to be. Track everything that goes into your mouth- it will hold you accountable.

    Side note-
    You need to do minimum 30 minutes a day of exercise (not including your days off of course.) Working up to an hour a day would be good but somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes is usually Prime. Don't think that doing 5 minutes of exercise in the morning and 5 minutes of exercise at night is really going to do anything for you. It's not. You have to get your blood pumping and just doing planks for a few minutes isn't going to do much.

    You are worth it. I repeat- you are worth it. Take the time out for yourself and do this. The only thing you really have that is ALL YOURS is your health.

    ReplyDelete