Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015--So Long. Thanks for the Memories



2015 was definitely a roller coaster of a year. I had some really poor experiences and some really amazing ones. I started out the year sick with a cold. I didn't know it then, but a sweet e-card from a co-worker would be the start of a really nice friendship that blossomed throughout the year. I got stung by a bee in March...on a bus of all places...and that took at least a month to finally go back to normal. Then there was my kidney stone surgery. Not something I would recommend. A lot of pain and a longer recovery than I had expected. Here's to hoping that 2016 has better health issues for me and my loved ones.

Then at the end of June this happened. The death of poor Charles, my 2003 Subaru Forester, thanks to a lady in a rental car on a cell phone. Thankfully Eric was not injured and the car was the only thing severely damaged. It did mean 5 months of walking and enduring Los Angeles Public Transportation but it was an experience.

Right after Charles, we rented a car and brought home Vann. Chaplin needed a companion and Blair needed peace from the young kitty we had gotten last year. Vann stayed in the closet for 10 days when we first got him here, but he has emerged as a very loving, social cat and he and the Shmoo love playing and Blair loves the peace and quiet.


In August I had my first "bucket list" experience of the year. I got to go to Disneyland, and thanks to some great friends, got to have dinner at Club 33. Kind of amazing to think that I took a bus to and from one of the most exclusive restaurants in the World. 





Then in September (a little after our official anniversary), Eric took me to Fabio Viviani's restaurant, Cafe Firenze, in Moorpark. Again, I rented a car to go to an unforgettable meal that the executive chef himself picked out for us. It was so nice to be treated like a VIP just because Eric had had a 10 minute interview with Fabio last year. 





In October, the insurance payment came through and I bought Alain. He is completely what I did not expect. Nissan, black in color, sedan, and relatively new. The buying experience was not pleasant but I am happy with what I ended up with. We took Alain for a drive down PCH and saw a beautiful sunset. Nice way to break in a new car.




Then in November I got to go to a cooking demonstration by Hugh Acheson. I had seen him on Top Chef and fallen in love with his personality and his monobrow. I even got to chat with him a bit before the demo started when he needed to buy a new gold spoon. I mentioned at the time that this was probably in the top 10 of my greatest experiences. He did a simple recipe, was easy going, funny,  charming and the soup he made was fantastic. I also learned a few things that I can now use in my own cooking.


Plus I got a signed cookbook to add to my collection.

So that's just a quick glance of what 2015 offered me. There was also some major relationship issues, fights, infidelity, and a trip to Chicago I wasn't sure I was going to come home from. But all these were learning experiences and part of what makes me who I am. We've been in California for 2 years now. We're better off than we were in 2014, but, as with lots of things, we could be better.

In 2016 I plan to give up all my Sagas on my phone. No more candy crushing, pepper panicking, papa pear throwing, pet rescuing, bubble bursting or anything else King thinks I should play. I will continue with Angry Birds and Words with Friends, but that will be about it. I plan on reading more, hiking in the mountains (foothills) that surround L.A. and perfecting a song or two on my guitar. I also want to eat healthier and watch less TV. I want to continue growing friendships, and reaching out to those friends who I've strayed from in the past few years. I also want to write more, cook more, and maybe take a vacation for the first time in 10 years. 

Happy New Year everyone!







No comments:

Post a Comment