Wednesday, January 6, 2010

99 books to read on the wall, 99 books to read...

Yes! Last night I stayed up past my bedtime and finished my first book. "The Age of Entanglement: When Quantum Physics was Reborn" was closed, probably for good. I did enjoy it, but wouldn't put it on my Top 10 list. Probably not even on my Top 50 list. It was interesting It definitely made me think--so much so, that my brain hurt. Towards the end of the book, one of the young physicists says that physics should be so easy that we can explain it to any junior high or high school student. I will admit that the author did a good job of that. There was nothing complicated about her approach, and you could always turn to the glossary if you needed help. The funny thing about the glossary though was that she defined every term in the book the first time she wrote about it, so you didn't really need the glossary. What really interested me about the book though was that all the physicists basically spent their lives arguing about the same thing, siding with one or another and then a few years later, changing their mind. Even today, the younger scientists, physicists, theorists, experimentalists or whatever you want to call them, are arguing with Einstein, trying to prove Bohr or Bell wrong. It doesn't change from decade to decade. Someone will always challenge what someone else says. Especially in a field like Physics where things aren't based in reality anyway. Working with particles so small no one can see them and then deciding what they are going to do while no one is watching is what these men spent all their lives trying to prove. I suppose, in a way, we are all "entangled" with each other. Even though it seems improbable that two items that have nothing to do with each other and will never cross paths, are somehow entangled with other items that will.

The author did try to add some interesting stories, taken from letters and, even in her own admission, made-up from several different sources. So the science was true, but the story surrounding it may or may not have happened. Just like quantum physics.

I am glad I challenged myself on this first book, but am also completely relieved that I now get to read a work of fiction. I started "Amateur Barbarians" this afternoon on the train and already devoured two chapters. This is more my style. More descriptions, more imagination needed and no glossary! This book should be a fast read. I don't believe I will make the 2 books in 7 day deadline, but considering I have to go to the doctor tomorrow, I may get more read than I thought. So, I'm starting a little behind in my goal, yet feel like I've already succeeded for not giving up on the very first book. And that will inspire me to keep going.

I will update you soon and if anyone wants a very slightly used copy of "The Age of Entanglement" I'd be more than happy to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment