Sunday, January 10, 2010

10 Days In and There May be Others


Ok, so I am 10 days into my 100 books in a year, I should, mathematically, and in order to realistically finish, be on my third book right now, or maybe finishing my third book but I am not. I am still working on "Amateur Barbarians" book number two but the first fiction book on my list. It's a good book, I'm reading through it at a good pace, but have not finished it yet, due to not feeling so hot and one of my original passions--football. I will probably finish the book today and that is fine because I do not yet have the next two books on my list. The first one "The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science" is not available at any library, local or within short driving distance, and "American Rust" is not published in paperback yet, which seems to be the only way I can order it on Amazon. It will be released on Tuesday, which gives me plenty of time.

When I discovered that the non-fiction book was not available in any library, it made me wonder if I am not the only person in the Chicagoland area with this idea. Maybe others are planning on reading all 100 books as well, and if they are...then I am behind, for last Sunday was only the 3rd. Could it be that they read a book a day? Could it be that they cheated and started reading the day the list came out which was back in mid-December, one-week earlier online than in print? I'm not sure, or maybe I'm just paranoid but I am also not panicking. I am as determined to complete this goal as much as I was to finishing the first book I read or reading the 7th Harry Potter book in one sitting, or determining not to like the "Bridges of Madison County" and being pissed that I got sucked into it and cried. No matter if I am alone or in a group in my endeavor, I will succeed!

Now, back to "Amateur Barbarians". This book is a "guy" book. It's about two middle-aged men unhappy with their suburban, boring lives and trying to find some way to fulfill what is missing or to evoke some sense of excitement that seems to be lacking. These men's lives will intertwine, yet there has only been a hinting of it in the first 100 pages. This book has some incredible lines that make me stop and say "Wow. That was a good line" My favorite so far being "He tried to collect a coherent impression of himself from the shards of reflection he glimpsed in other people's sunglasses." But in between the good lines, it is a story that I really can't relate to. I'm not a guy. I can't relate to hoping someone notices my erection at a party, or going into the bathroom to masturbate at same party because the cat bit you and no one is sympathetic to your invisible fang puncture wounds. It's interesting and maybe that's what middle-aged men do. In my younger days, I know that my boyfriend at that current time (who was not Eric) would go into the bathroom with his friends to smoke weed or snort coke, pretending they were clever in hiding it. But men are not like women, they don't usually need to go to the bathroom in groups. I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out. I can't say I dislike this more than Hemmingway because so far, the testosterone seems to be lacking but it is, again, a "guy" book.

As I've said before, this is a good goal for me. Teaching me new things, opening my eyes to new experiences, new authors and books I probably wouldn't normally read. I feel this after only reading two books. Just imagine how I'll feel in six months!

2 comments:

  1. "In my younger days, I know that my boyfriend would go into the bathroom with his friends to smoke weed or snort coke..."

    For the record, maybe you should have said "an EX-boyfriend." I've never done that, my dear. :-)

    ReplyDelete