Sunday, August 2, 2009

I Apologize for This Posting


I am what people would define as a "pleaser." I want to make others in my life happy or at least not mad at me. Therefore, I say "sorry" a lot. I say "sorry" when I believe I have made a mistake at work, at home, or on the road. I say "sorry" for things I probably shouldn't be sorry for. I even apologize in my emails to friends if I don't get back to them within the same hour I read their email. I say "sorry" for things that are definitely not my fault. In fact, I would say that I say "sorry" and average of at least 5 times per day.

I need to stop this. I have had friends tell me "there's nothing to be sorry about." When my boyfriend met a friend of mine from Florida for the first time, they both agreed within 10 minutes of meeting that I say "sorry" way too often. I say it so much that friends of mine joke "well you SHOULD be sorry," and then they laugh. I would be the person that would be run over by a car and would apologize to the driver who ran me over.

The problem is that I am getting to be like the boy who cried "WOLF!" During a disagreement that my boyfriend, I apologized and he said, "You know what? You're not sorry. You say that word so much that I don't believe you anymore." And that's a concern for me. I want to be sincere. I demand honesty in my life and can't stand to think that I am not being honest when I apologize. Maybe I am apologizing so much that it has lost its meaning. Does this mean I'm not remorseful? I don't think so. Does it mean I'm too remorseful? I don't think that either. I'm not sure what it means. I am aware that I apologize too much and realize that I need to do something about it.

So here...in writing....I am making this solemn oath: I, Robin Ernst, promise not to apologize for things that are not my fault. I promise not to apologize just because I think it's what the other person wants to hear. I promise not to apologize for things that are out of my control. I promise to be honestly remorseful before the word "sorry" escapes my lips. And I promise not to say "sorry" more than 5 times a month (rather than 5 times a day).

Thank you, and I'll let you know how it's going at the end of this month.


3 comments:

  1. I'm going to post a comment on here each and every time you say "sorry" at an inappropriate time from now until such time as this blog ceases to exist or you finally get your cute newly-coiffed head out of your ass. :-)

    Just figured I should do my part...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary... I could have wrote this same article...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this works or if you find something that works please let me know. My wife will tell me "I'm sorry for saying I'm sorry..."

    ReplyDelete