Friday, September 26, 2014

I Live in a City With A Winning Baseball Team...Wait, What?

I didn't blog last night because I was up watching the Los Angeles Dodgers win their division under the masterful arm of Clayton Kershaw. (His stand up triple didn't hurt either). He looks a bit like Blake Shelton and is on his way to a Cy Young award and possibly MVP.


There was champagne flowing in the locker room, they did a victory lap around the field, and there were some fireworks. All it all it was a good game to watch and I'm happy for the Dodgers. I do hope they make it to the World Series, even if that means I will have to find new and unique ways to get home due to MAJOR traffic problems. I'm also happy because Carl Crawford, who was one of my favorite players when I lived in Florida is a member of the Dodgers. It's nice to see him doing well, as well as Darwin Barney, who had a brief lapse of judgement and joined the Cubs for a season.

The other wonderful part of a Dodger game is Vin Scully. He's almost 87 years old and he does the entire game on TV AND Radio on his own. No color commentator, no play-by-play guy. Just Vin. Telling wonderful stories, correcting himself when he makes grammatical errors, and by far, the most talented baseball announcer I have ever heard. Harry Caray and Ron Santo were fun to listen to, but they were not "masters" like Scully. Even with all the problems we've been having with Time Warner Cable, I was glad they agreed to air the final games so I could witness this.

Last year, before we moved to Los Angeles, Eric and I got to live the dream and play catch, have batting practice, and catch fly balls on the actual surface of Wrigley Field. We got to hug the ivy, we got to stand on home plate and had our picture taken in the on-deck circle. It was amazing. Especially when you've loved the Cubs as long as I have. But I would love to see a celebration on that field, a victory lap around the warning track. The fans getting high fives and sprayed with champagne.

Not to say that I haven't witnessed great victories in Chicago. I have. I have watched the Bears win a couple of Super Bowls, I have watched the Bulls "repeat the three-peat", and lately have watched the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup...twice in 3 years. (Yes, White Sox fans, I know you've won some too).  But I'm a Cubs fan. Always have been. Always will be. I have seen them win some games, I have seen them win their division, but I have NEVER seen them celebrate like the Dodgers did last night. More often than not I have watched them get so close, and then somehow find a way to lose and watch other teams celebrate with champagne. It's heartbreaking to be a Cubs fan. 


So forgive me if I jump on the Dodgers bandwagon a little (ok, a LOT) late and enjoy living in a city that has a winning baseball team.






No comments:

Post a Comment