Monday, July 27, 2009

A Couple of Poems

Here are a couple of poems I have written. I'm not too sure about my poetry. I like it, but it is usually pretty dark. (except for the humorous poems I write for friends and loved ones for birthdays). I also think a lot of my poems are really personal and won't make sense to anyone else. Please let me know what you think. If they get positive feedback, I'll post more.

These are untitled poems.

Sometimes I curse the ocean between us,

but yelling into something that large makes no sense...

Neptune can't hear me.

Not even if I jump in the water

and let him listen to the beating of my heart.

Would it send angry waves pounding against the rocks?

Or are the waters calm,

gently whispering waves,

lapping questions among the shore?

He's hidden in the depths,

and I'm not a mermaid daughter.

Although all of us are more sea than earth.

Perhaps a teardrop plea

will be enough for him to shorten the distance,

Or speed along the message of love

contained within.



This next one is one of my favorites I have ever written, and also one of my earliest

I woke up this morning with the sound of the sun

Melting the vision of my partner

Into a dark pool of plaid to match the sheets.

As I reached over to touch someone

Who had never been there

My body made a small groan--as if

It too was missing who, or what, had been lying next to me night after night.

The morning rolled on, and I rolled along with it,

Eating breakfast, getting dressed, going to work.

While at work, the vision gained a voice as it reappeared with the rising sun.

But the sun was burning the voice away,

Causing it to grow dimmer with each degree.

By high noon the voice was gone,

Not to reappear until the next morning when it replaced the vision.

I would wait for both the vision and the voice…

And pray for a cloudy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment