Monday, February 27, 2017

One More Week


Next week at this time I will be at orientation for my new job as a deckhand with the Wendella Sightseeing Co. and I can't wait! I need to get into a new routine, I need a sense of purpose, a place to go every day.

Since I left California and came back "home", I have had a couple of routines. The first one involved getting the apartment back into a livable condition. That was fine because I was busy all day. I was shopping or cleaning or throwing things out or building furniture or reuniting with old friends, introducing myself back to Chicago. Then came the holidays and there was baking and cooking added to the mix. I was also job hunting the entire time. Sending out resume after resume, but it's very hard to get a job during the holidays when many of the decision makers are out of the office.

So, after the holidays and after going through the money I had to sustain me while on this transition, I got into a routine that I'm not really happy with. I'd get up in the morning, feed the cats, feed the birds, watch the news, watch some game shows, watch The Chew, give the cats a snack, watch more game shows, watch the news, watch a movie or something on TV, feed the cats and then go to bed. I ventured out a couple of times; even after the car got repossessed I walked to the pharmacy, the grocery store, or the post office. I went downtown and took the train out to the suburbs to have lunch with a friend. But mostly my routine was the same day in and day out. The cats mostly sleep during the day and sometimes I did too. I play games on my phone. I was starting to get a little stir crazy. Hell, I've even been spending time watching a giraffe that could, according to all the sites running the video, "at any moment" have a baby. I had the desire to go out, but no funds to do it. Eric's Mom takes me grocery shopping every Saturday, but that's necessity and errands.

I did get excited about the thought of going to pastry/baking school and I am still excited about that, but also aware that it costs money and financial aid will only help a little bit, so that dream may be put on hold.

Luckily, I applied to Wendella one afternoon. I have fond memories of taking the water taxi from the train station to the Wrigley Building in the morning and back in the afternoons. It was relaxing. It was quiet, and it was way more fun than the bus! So I went in for an interview on a sunny, warm Friday and was told I only needed to pass a drug test and a background check. So I took my drug test the same afternoon I had the interview and filled out the background check the Monday after the interview and last Wednesday was told I got the job! Yay!

So, next Monday I have orientation all day. Then I'll have 3 days of (paid) training and then I can officially start as a deckhand. It will be challenging but it will be fun. I'll get to meet all sorts of new people, share my love of Chicago with people who are just visiting, and probably get to know a few of the regular commuters. This will be an excellent kick-start to my new routine. I'll also be making money so when I have some time off I can go to a movie, or to lunch, or to buy my own groceries and pay my own cell phone bill. I'll also get to put a little money away for culinary school. No one ever said starting over was easy, but I consider this a big step towards making me feel like Robin again.

1 comment: